Monday, January 7, 2013

it's a jazzy jan

Hi friends,

I'm hitting the road for a string of shows in Saskatchewan on Wednesday.  Should shape up to be a lot of fun.  I'm mostly playing in small towns and have got Jeremy and Elizabeth by my side.  Winter adventures await.

While I was postering for this tour's Regina show I noticed a poster for the Bob Moyer Big Band.  I recommend attendance to anyone living in or near the city.

Bob Moyer is a local big band leader who passed away in 2005.  His book of jazz standard arrangements will be played by local musicians on the 18th of January in the Royal Saskatchewan Museum Auditorium.  I went to their performance a few years ago when Pat Steel sang with the band.  Pat and Bob had one of those real life music romances that makes me swoon.  They traveled all over with the big band and have a heap of great stories to tell.  She's always been very supportive of my work and it was a pleasure to see her up swingin' with the band.  She's since retired, so I'm not sure who will be belting out the tunes (if they're looking for someone, please consider this my official letter of interest for next year).

It's a rare opportunity in this town that you get to hear a complete horn section of ringer musicians busting out the tunes of Count Basie and Duke Ellington.  Check it out while you can.  You can find more details here.

No comments:

Post a Comment