Thursday, October 9, 2014

supporting the girls

Friends,

This past weekend the band and I went to Winnipeg for BreakOut West.  If you're not in the know, BOW is a music conference that occurs in some lucky Western Canadian city every year.  It also serves as a reunion for industry types.  Basically, I get together with my extended community, talk business, learn me a thing or two, introduce myself to new pals, and everyone hangs out digging the music going on in the evenings.  I always enjoy the event, and I'm legitimate in telling myself that I'm "working" while having a hell of a time.

This year at BreakOut West, some smart friends of mine thought we should have a hockey game for the ladies.  It's fair to say that I did not want to play.  I'm pretty unsure of myself on skates, and I don't know the rules.  A strange gap in my prairie education, I know.

But Elizabeth signed me up, and so it was that I played in the first ever Double D Cup.  Most shocking to me was that I didn't totally stink.  Sure, ok... I played in figure skates, but you gotta start somewhere.

I must attest to the sheer awesomeness of everyone involved – players and otherwise.  Jeremy was even among the supporters and sang Oh Canada! Man, did he ever earn points for being there at 8:45 am after a few late nights out on the town.

May the tradition continue next year... and may I improve at hockey in the meantime.

Here's to the Double D Cup!  Supporting the girls since 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment