Monday, February 15, 2016

the pros of collaboration

Posters are:
a) Disposable art? 
b) Temporary installations? 
c) Necessary and mundane marketing techniques done in repetition? 
d) All of the above?

Let's discuss.

I've been having fun with them lately.  I used to take the approach of just getting my face out there: a photograph with the details of Who, What, Where, When, and How Much. 

Now I'm getting bolder.  Having more fun with the images.  This past year I've started collaborating with my dear friend, Terri Fidelak.  I like to think that we're making mini dramas with our posters. 

My favourite reaction to our most recent effort is: Whoa. She smashed all his good stuff. 

I know what little story the image tells me, and I'd sure love to hear yours. 

It's a tiny risk to take.  The show may be better promoted with a photo so you know it's me: my face, my show, right?  But this is way more fun.  And as a self-employed, self-governed artist... I guess I'm drawn to having as much fun with the work as possible. 

It's my second collaboration with Terri, and we have some ideas to explore in the future. They might get a little darker, or a little more playful.  Hard to know.  But I sure hope you enjoy them.  They're meant to give you a peek into my brain.  Into what kind of artist I see myself as.  A bite-sized visual of my inner world.

speaking of which...

I got to host a Valentine's Day special on CBC Radio 1's  SK Weekend with Eric Anderson yesterday.  Eric asked me to come on the show to talk about my new album, the upcoming tour, and best of all, he had me choose all the music for the three hour show.

I had no idea how difficult this task would be.  Artists are not known to speak/sing of the glories of love.  We're prone to focus on its pitfalls, and disappointments.  And don't forget that the songs I chose had to be 80% Canadian content!  But I rose to the challenge. 

In order of appearance, here are the songs that spell L-O-V-E to me:

 1. 5 Days in May - Blue Rodeo - Blue Road
 2. Sugar Buzz - k.d. lang and the Siss Boom Bang - Sing It Loud
 3. Sunburnt in LA - Library Voices - Lovish
 4. Stronger Than That - Bahamas - Bahamas is Alfie
 5. Crazy Arms - Belle Plaine - The Unrequited Love
 6. Could I Have This Dance - Anne Murray - Greatest Hits
 7. Safe and Sound - Hawksley Workman - For Him and the Girls
 8. Taj Mahal - Sam Roberts - We Were Born In A Flame
 9. Legendary - Belle Plaine - Notes from a Waitress
10. Vincent Gallo - Carolyn Mark & The New Best Friends - The Pros and Cons of Collaboration
11. You Turn Me On I'm A Radio - Joni Mitchell - For the Roses
12. Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis - Belle Plaine - The Unrequited Love
13. Patience Phipps (The Best To You) - Jay Malinowski & The Deadcoast - Martel
14. Good Heart - Belle Plaine - The Unrequited Love
15. I Love - Tom T Hall - Country Songs For Children
16. Harvest Moon - Neil Young - Harvest Moon
17. If I Were A Carpenter - Johnny Cash with June Carter Cash - The Essential Johnny Cash
18. The Color of Love - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash - Johnny Cash and His Woman
19. No One's Gonna Love You (Quite Like I Do) - Jenn Grant - Compostela
20. Old Love - Belle Plaine - Notes from a Waitress

xo
bp

No comments:

Post a Comment