Monday, July 18, 2016

tour lessons, episode 482: temperament management

temperament [tem-per-uh-muh nt] 
noun

1. the combination of mental, physical, and emotional traits of a person; natural predisposition.

2. unusual personal attitude or nature as manifested by peculiarities of feeling, temper, action, etc., often with a disinclination to submit to conventional rules or restraints.

3. As pertaining to music: 
         a) the tuning of a keyboard instrument, as the piano, organ, or harpsichord, so that the instrument may be played in all keys without further tuning.          
         b) a particular system of doing this.



Hello friends, 

A key went missing this week. Specifically, the spare key to my Toyota Matrix. I brought two along on tour because I thought that was a great idea. I gave both sets to dear guitarist Bryce on the day that he went to get a new tattoo. I thought to myself, "He might be lightheaded afterwards, or distracted... he may lock the keys in the car. I will give him both sets. This is best practice."

I have never had a tattoo.

So, since Tattoo Day, I've thought, "I need that extra car key back. One of the boys has it. I don't who, but I don't want it to get lost."

This morning I mentioned it. We're leaving for BC tomorrow, and I've gotta have my stuff in order. So I brought it up with the guys. Somehow, I took the high road, and I fought my natural tendency to be like, "Y'all have my key. Give it. Now."

I spent the day reminding, looking, re-reminding, looking again. Waiting for them to find it. I managed to somehow (I hope) avoid a snotty, "YOU have it." 

And thank the stars...

Because tonight, I came to a lovely Calgary coffeeshop, and when I saw it was cash only, I went digging for spare change in my purse. And yeah... you know what I found. 

Don't get all blamey, my people. The road to redemption is so much shorter when you're not a total ass. 

And for my touring friends: learn to tune yourself so you can play in all the keys. Pun intended.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment