Monday, January 27, 2014

keep on keepin' on

This photo may as well be an re-enactment of my first meeting with Chris Prpich at Buy the Book in 2010.  He asked me to come into the shop to talk about music and the potential of Belle Plaine joining forces with The Lazy MKs.  That day I also officially met Chris's dad "Coach" and nearly begged to be told his proper name, Greg.  (It's just a bit strange to call someone Coach right off the hop, isn't it?)

I didn't realize how serious Chris was about working together until he started talking about tour dates that were within the next six weeks.  I responded to the proposal by saying,

"Don't you think we should play some music together and see how it goes before we all run off on tour?"

Cue Coach's laughter.

I wasn't trying to play it cool.  I was actually pretty terrified at the idea of stepping into a jam space.  It was a completely unfamiliar situation for me.  I was a very new songwriter (still am) who worked alone for the most part (still do) and was incapable of jamming (still true).

But despite my anxiety, the rehearsal went off without a hitch.  I played through a bunch of songs and they picked the ones that they thought would be a good fit for them.  I focused on trying to make them laugh more than anything.  I was a fan of their record A Field Guide to the Lazy MKs, and I figured they'd keep me around if they thought I was funny.  In only a few rehearsals they managed to learn the the tunes and BOOM.  I had a back-up band.  This was completely new to me.  Then the Lazy MKs recommended that Anna Rose come on board.  And she sang harmonies so unexpectedly pretty that I'd forget my own lyrics due to distraction.  At the end of April 2010 we went on a mini tour to Saskatoon and Bruno.  Our Regina gig on May 1st, 2010 was the first time that I ever played at The Artesian.  The tour was called The Sunset Travelin' Revue.  It was the best.

And on it went.  Over the years my love grew for Buy the Book. It was far more than a bookstore.  There was sports memorabilia, records, curios, girly mags, vintage bicycles, stereo equipment...  It got to be that if I needed anything second hand, I'd just ask Chris.  If he didn't have it, he'd probably have an idea of where to get it.  And I just enjoyed being there.  What was supposed to be a short visit would more often than not turn into hours.  Sometimes Chris and I would go down to the jam space below the shop and I'd play him some new song I'd written.  Sometimes we'd have snacks at the oak desk.  Once I beat Coach at cribbage so badly that I never asked him to play with me again out of guilt.  Sometimes many musicians would unexpectedly converge and a bottle would appear in stealth.  I just never knew what I'd find.

It was years later that I heard how I managed to secure that first gig with the MKs:

1. An artist had dropped off the tour, and they were looking for someone to fill the spot, preferably a female.  I answered the call, and was available for the dates.  Woody Allen did say that showing up is 80% of life.

2. During the first rehearsal Chris made some suggestions to the chord changes in "Advice from a Vicar".  I played his ideas through once or twice with him and then said that they sounded great, and that maybe he should try using those chord changes in the next song that he writes, cause my song was already done.  Apparently that was the real clincher.  They figured I had the chutzpah to be in the ring with them.

I owe a lot to this little spot in the world.  Chris both created and shared community at Buy the Book with his dad and Claire – their long suffering (and only) employee.  I've met so many people there.  The connection it's given me to the Regina music scene is just irreplaceable.

If you're a local, chances are that you know that this week everything at the shop is 90% off.  Most of the books and records are gone, as are the bikes, curios and memorabilia.  The jam space has been cleared out.  Buy the Book is closing the doors on January 31st.

It makes me sad that I won't be able to bike down on a future Saturday afternoon to see what's happening.  That I won't be able to make a shop visit my first social outing after a long tour.  There's lots to miss, but the people are still around, and that's what made it.  We'll find another spot.  Change is hard, but what else can you do other than roll with it?

If you never had the chance to visit, you can experience everything that the shop was in this music video by The Lazy MKs.

Thanks for the memories, friends. xo

 
The Lazy MKs - You Don't Have To Go Home With Him from Young Soul on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment