Monday, December 1, 2014

country mouse

BB and I visit Corner Gas at TIFF 2014
Cowpokes,

My childhood years were spent on a small grain farm in Saskatchewan.  I was a border-farm kid: I went to school in Rose Valley, had a line on the Quill Lake phone exchange and our mail was delivered to Fosston.  With populations of 296, 409 and 55 respectively, you can make your own assumptions about the booming metropolis that surrounded me.

With thanks to the Regina Folk Festival and Agribition I got back to my roots on Saturday night, playing music to open up the rodeo cabaret.  The bill was shared with that guy in the photo, Blake Berglund.  My band performed a good dose of twang – with heartache, drinking and death as the central themes.  We did our best to get them dancing, but still have a thing or two to learn about it all from Berglund.

Will I continue down this path and become a country singer?  Will I find a plot of land with an old barn to house a half dozen goats and a pair of ponies?  Will I just dream longingly of my imaginary double wide trailer in Pincher Creek?  It all remains to be seen...

1 comment:

  1. Always good to see a new blog entry from you, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete